Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Weddings & Fireworks

I love weddings. I have always loved weddings. I remember dancing & eating wedding cake & being completely dazzled by the bride at every wedding I ever attended as a little kid. I don't remember the pastors, however. Many pastors I know are annoyed by weddings, hate weddings, in large part because they dread Bridezilla Syndrome, but also because they deplore the way the reception is generally put front & center and the actual ceremony sometimes seems like little more than an afterthought, a necessity to get over with before the fun of the reception. I don't think that's true, though, or fair to brides and grooms. Sure, there are some for whom the ceremony itself matters little and is a necessary evil. For most, though, I believe it matters deeply. It's just that the reception is more hands-on planning. The service is, in most churches, in the hands of the pros, ministers like me who know what works and what doesn't.

Whatever the reasons people don't like weddings, I say anyone who doesn't want to perform one can hand it my way! I spent a good chunk of my holiday weekend at a wedding rehearsal (Friday night) and then a wedding & reception Saturday. My senior pastor is away at our denomination's big national assembly, so I got to do the wedding. He was chagrined at the timing, as was my secretary, who is on vacation and also had to miss it. The couple who were married are simply lovely and their families delightful. The wedding itself was the picture of simplicity, aside from the large number of attendants. The groomsmen wore attractive tuxes, the bridesmaids gorgeous hot pink dresses accented with luscious orange. Some very appealing tattoos were on display and a tiny, cherubic girl served as flower girl. The music chosen was fun, popular music (including the Glee version of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow") with nothing traditional at all, not even for the bride. The programs were made by the bride, orange paper fans adorned with hot pink organza ribbon, and the bouquets were also of paper, just stunning. You couldn't tell they were paper until you got up close. The service went beautifully and Sam & Stephanie seem like a perfect couple.

Jeannene and I had a grand time at the reception at Carillon Park, meeting some really cool people, talking with really cool people I already knew from church, listening to great acoustic guitar and singing by the groom's uncle. The cake was utterly lovely, but didn't manage to outshine the beautiful buttercream & sugar-flower-topped cupcakes scattered all around it. They were delicious, too. The groom's cake was very sweet, created by the grandmom of the groom. When we were through dancing and visiting, we exited into the beauty of the night, with crickets singing and fireworks off over the Dayton skyline. We'd had a full day, including a visit (by just me) to one of my parishioners, who just had a knee replacement, an exploration of the shops at The Greene in pursuit of the perfect summer suit for Jeannene & lunch of a gorgeous plate of mozzarella di bufala and heirloom tomatoes with a balsamic drizzle and pizzeta bianca (me) and arugula di limone (amazingly delicious & Jeannene's lunch) at Joya's Bistro. So, after pulling over to watch the fireworks from afar for awhile, we returned to my auntie's. She'd been nice enough to give up her bed & make the doggies sleep in the hallway so that we didn't have to spend the money for a hotel.

Sunday morning, I was in charge of everything for worship. My sermon seemed to be well-received and I didn't spill communion wine on anyone, so I consider it a success! We drove out to Yellow Springs on a whim for brunch at The Winds. It was either that or Ruby Tuesday. Jeannene had corn cakes with avocado salsa, served with grilled veggies & fresh melon. I opted for the summer croque monsieur. Dessert was a delicious lemon verbena tart with red currants. Then, we poked around the shops for awhile (spending entirely too much money at Sam & Eddie's and Urban Handmade) before heading back to my aunt's to grill some tilapia. Jeannene topped it 3 different ways: lemon pepper, bbq (too spicy for me!) and with a sort of salsa-y marinade. We served it with corn, watermelon & some shrimp kebabs pre-made by Kroger. We fully intended to make it out to the Cityfolk Festival, but by the time we had cooked & found parking in Dayton, it was getting close to time for the fireworks. We spent some time lolling about on a blanket on the Dayton Art Institute grass before moving to the steps area to see the show. It was spectacular, including some fireworks that looked heart-shaped that neither of us had ever seen before. Great night!

Monday, we had plans to head to Wilmington and cook breakfast out at Cowan Lake. My auntie went early and secured the last picnic table for us. Sadly, it started to drizzle and a big front of thunderstorms was forecast, so she came home. Jeannene & I went to get some Starbucks and took a wonderful walk in Oakwood. Afterward, we picked up more avocados to adjust the too-salty guacamole I made Sunday (every time I use her Lawry's garlic salt to make it, this happens...lucky that we can simply add extra avos & remedy the problem). We had burgers with my aunt, my cousin & his friend before Jeannene & Jeff had to leave for Cleveland. I hate that part, especially on long weekends when I've really had time to savor Jeannene's presence. But hopefully, this separation will end soon & we'll be living together again.

After they left, I had some downtime just to mess around on the computer. Then, me, my aunt, my cousin & my aunt's friend, Carl, went to Gaunt Park for the fireworks. There's nothing like being in my hometown for the fireworks. Unfortunately, everyone in the world seems to have realized this because the place was teeming with people, tons of them from out of town. In the firework fog afterward, we were scared we'd run into someone. I got to see a lot of fun people, including old friends Charlie & Carmen, with their respective small people, Georgia (whom I had never before met and who is absolutely delicious) and Solomon (who cracked me up by telling me, "You! Go back to where you came from!" in as stern a tone as a tiny boy can muster) who all sat with us. My aunt had sent me out with the request that I bring some cool people back to sit with us & I fulfilled that. I hope I can start logging more time with them soon...great women!

No comments:

Post a Comment